DANCE 141 Ballet Technique II • 2 Cr.
Expansion of the principles, techniques, and vocabulary of classical ballet. Students continue to develop in all areas of technique as they gain flexibility, strength and coordination. For advanced beginning, intermediate and continuing students. Prerequisite: Dance 140 or equivalent recommended.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the composition of a dancer's line and form and apply correct body alignment and posture more corectly toward the development of more advanced technique.
- Continue to develop muscle strength, joint flexibility, balance and coordination by using more advanced ballet conditioning exercises.
- Explain the French terminology used in more advanced ballet vocabulary.
- Explain how a system of practice exercises at the barre prepare dancers for proper ballet technique while creating more difficult ballet combinations.
- Analyze and demonstrate the way in which acquired skills developed at the barre coordinate with movements in center and across the floor.
- Continue to explore musical phrasing and how it is used in ballet.
- Demonstrate Improved physical fitness and self-expression.
- Show how the mechanics of ballet technique can be used to progress toward a mastery of other dance styles.