ENGL& 244 American Literature I • 5 Cr.
Surveys the early American literary scene. Authors and works vary, but typically include Edwards, Franklin, Thoreau, Hawthorne, and Melville. Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of American history, philosophy, and culture as reflected in the literature.
- Demonstrate an awareness of varying points of view within this culture, including women and other minority voices whenever possible
- Identify major themes and ideas
- Recognize how style relates to content in various writers’ works
- Apply the analytical process to literary works
- Apply writing skills to analyzing literature
- Fall 2015 (current quarter)