FRCH& 121 French I • 5 Cr.
Introduces basic speaking, reading, and writing skills. Students learn by listening and speaking as well as reading and writing with the help of a variety of web based materials.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Write in the target language what is heard, answering questions related to the information given by native speakers of the target language.
- Ask questions with proper intonation and provide general information in the present tense.
- Deduce meaning about what was read in the target language by making educated guesses using cognates and context to assist in the comprehension process.
- Create simple yet grammatically correct affirmative, interrogative, and negative sentences using the present tense with few spelling errors.
- Correctly identify verbs tenses, distinguishing between regular and irregular verbs, and recognize some pronouns categories; produce noun-verb and noun-adjective agreement, and distinguish formal and informal situations; recognize and accurately use nouns, adjectives, pronouns, adverbs, conjunctions, and prepositions.
- Identify basic cultural information introduced in theme-specific vocabulary, photographs, and authentic video material centered on the world of the target language.
- Explain in the first language both differences and similarities between the cultures of the first and target languages.