JAPN& 121 Japanese I • 5 Cr.
Develops beginning level listening and conversation skills along with reading and writing hiragana and katakana characters. Some relevant aspects of Japanese culture are introduced.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use and comprehend basic conversational phrases (greetings, personal introductions, etc.) as well as participate in common personal interactions (shopping, describing the locations of objects, extending and accepting or declining invitations, etc.).
- Conjugate verbs and speak/write about and understand conversations/passages about current, future and past activities using appropriate verb tenses and correct formality.
- Recognize and use particles correctly in nominal and verbal sentences.
- Understand and reproduce the correct pronunciation and intonation of spoken Japanese words and phrases.
- Recognize and understand the effects of social context on the spoken language (omission of first and second-person pronouns, hesitation to complete sentences especially when declining an invitation, etc.).
- Read and write the basic phonetic characters of the Japanese kana (hiragana and katakana) syllabaries - including diacritic marks.