JAPN& 221 Japanese IV • 5 Cr.
Continuation of JAPN& 123. Students practice listening, speaking, reading and writing in integrated activities relating to a main theme. More kanji and relevant aspects of Japanese culture are introduced. Prerequisite: JAPN& 123 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Speak in and comprehend more advanced conversational situations (e.g. give two or more reasons for something, express one’s visual impression of something, describe an action one performs in advance / in preparation, etc.).
- Comprehend and be able to use a wider variety of vocabulary (nouns, verbs and adjectives) and their proper forms.
- Recognize more complicated social contexts and how these affect the spoken language.
- Recognize the correct formality and politeness levels required in common situations – including ‘in-group’ / ‘out-group’ distinctions, etc.
- Read ~50~80 additional kanji characters.
- Know and use appropriately the multiple meanings and multiple pronunciations of each kanji character.