MATH& 254 Calculus IV • 5 Cr.
Extends the concepts of calculus to vector-valued functions and functions of several variables. Partial derivatives are included. Fulfills the quantitative or symbolic reasoning course requirement at BC. Recommended: MATH& 152.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- to visualize, plot and interpret
- surfaces in 3D
- to translate among rectangular, cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems and state some advantages and disadvantages of each system
- to perform basic vector operations and apply these operations
- to interpret the fundamental ideas of rates of change and accumulation for curves in higher dimensions:
- tangent vectors
- arc length
- to interpret the fundamental ideas of rates of change and accumulation for surfaces in higher dimensions:
- directional derivatives
- tangent planes
- max/min applications
- volumes & surface areas