PHIL& 120 Symbolic Logic • 5 Cr.
Introduction to modern symbolic logic emphasizing sentence logic with translation and proofs and quantificational logic with translation and proofs. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into MATH 099, or completion of MATH 098 with a C or better.
Previously Phil& 106 - Introduction to Logic
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Recognize and use basic philosophic vocabulary relevant to critical thinking (e.g., "valid," "invalid," "sound").
- Translate English statements to the language of sentential logic and predicate logic.
- Analyze the logical properties of statements and arguments using truth tables.
- Prove the validity of arguments in sentential logic using natural deduction.
- Prove the validity of arguments in predicate logic using quantifier rules, single quantifiers, multiple quantifiers, and relational predicates.