Establishing an Agreement

This information is for BC faculty members who would like to explore agreements related to equivalencies, transfers, or sharing of resources with other institutions.

A professor working with students in a classroom
BC's Student Success Center.

Tip for Faculty

Before you begin, ask yourself: What type of agreement works best for MY institution?

Direct Transfer Agreements

Direct Transfer Agreements or DTAs are state-approved agreements that lay out what courses are counted as equivalent to obtain the same degree across two separate institutions.


  • According to the Intercollege Relations Commission (ICRC), several WA state colleges already operate under the guidelines for direct transfer between institutions. A list of state colleges that meet these guidelines can be found in the yearly ICRC Handbook.
  • Must be developed in coordination with departmental faculty/administrators from both institutions, and reviewed by the Offices of Evaluations and Academic Affairs.
  • To learn more, explore how to transfer credits to Bellevue College (“BC”).

Articulation Agreements

Articulation Agreements are partnerships that are individually developed between Bellevue College (BC) and either a Washington State OR external college, university, or entity. Articulations describe the ways that students can transfer in one direction or between two institutions, typically as identified for specific programs.


  • Template to develop an Articulation with BC: Articulation Sample
  • Template to continue or amend a current Articulation: Amendment Sample
  • Must be developed in coordination with the Office of Academic Affairs, and a Contract Signature Approval form created.
  • Must be reviewed by the Chief Academic Officer, then signed by the Chief Academic Officer.

Memoranda of Understanding

Memoranda of Understanding or MOUs are agreements between BC and another college, university, or entity that includes an agreement to share resources, physical structures, faculty, or otherwise, for the benefit of both entities. Often referred to as a type of transfer agreement that is not covered by the regular transfer scenarios.


  • Template to develop a Memorandum of Understanding: MOU Sample
  • Must be developed in coordination with the Offices of Academic Affairs AND Administrative Services, and a Contract Signature Approval form created.
  • Must be reviewed by the Chief Academic Officer, then signed by the College President.

Still have questions?

For faculty that wish to learn about BC’s steps for developing an agreement, please refer to the Articulation Agreement Flowchart for a visual on the process.

For other questions, please contact Rebecca Cory, Dean of Curriculum and Assessment in Academic Affairs.