ABE 064 Adult Basic Education Level 4 • V1-10 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
English 4 • V1-10 Cr.
Prepares native English-speaking adults and, in some cases, high-level English-as-a second language students for credit courses or GED preparation courses by improving basic reading, writing, grammar, and math skills. Substantial and sustained progress required for continued enrollment. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment.
Description starting Summer 2015
Emphasizes development of strategies to effectively communicate in English for high school completion, and college and career readiness. Students read and report on fiction and non-fiction texts that relate to social studies, science and literature. Students meet composition objectives by writing well-organized and well-developed paragraphs and essays. Students develop their technology skills to complete a variety of tasks. Prerequisite: ABE Orientation and advising.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Cite strong and thorough evidence and inferences from a text
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text
- Determine and summarize the theme, development and conclusion of a text
- Analyze a complex set of ideas or sequence of events to explain how individuals, ideas, or events interact and develop over the course of a text
- Analyze and evaluate an author’s claim and the effectiveness of the structure of a text
- Use the writing process to convey ideas, concepts, explanations & research
- Use information from multiple sources on the same topic to write arguments and reports that support ideas with clear evidence
- Use technology to produce, publish, and update writing products