CMST 106 Debate II • 5 Cr.
Students are exposed to argumentation structure in basic parliamentary debate and speech spending significant time conducting research, preparing and debating at a more advanced level than CMST105. Students may choose to travel and compete at the collegiate level in speech & debate tournaments. Recommended: ENGL 101 and CMST 105.
Recommended: ENGL& 101 and CMST 105. Requires additional time outside of class.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- 1. Explain and apply rules and responsibilities of parliamentary debate in novice debate practice and competition.
- 2. Describe and apply guidelines for a variety of individual speech events during practice and competition.
- 3. Evaluate credibility of evidence gathered for debate topics and implement evidence in debates during competition.
- 4. Apply critical thinking skills in the research, writing, delivery, and analysis of debate and individual speech events during practice and competition.
- 5. Identify and apply ethical considerations while debating during practice and in competition.
- 6. Create and analyze effective argument patterns for a specific debate topic.
- 7. Identify and analyze current news events for use during debate competition.