DOSM 321 RADIATON TREATMNT PLAN I • 5 Cr.
Explores treatment planning for 2D planar and 3D conformal therapies. Topics include Isodose pattern assessment, DVH analysis, ICRU definition, Beam modifiers, Photon Monitor Unit calculations, and treatment planning goals for the pelvis, breast, lung, abdomen, head and neck, CNS and metastases. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Critically assess the photon isodose curves for clinically relevant photon beams within a 2D and 3D treatment plan.
- Be able to calculate the machine MU and dose inside a patient for 2D and 3D plans.
- Define the critical structures within a given field and state its tolerance dose.
- Demonstrate ability to employ different planning techniques to limit dose to critical structures.
- Evaluate the needs of imaging for both 2D and 3D clinical cases.Perform calculations for hinge angles, gap of abutting treatment ports and divergence angles of photon fields.
- Demonstrate differences between plans run with or without heterogeneity corrections and associated dosimetric changes.
- Critically compare TAR, TMR, TPR and PDD data tables.
- Demonstrate appropriate use of beam modifiers and calculations with beams containing beam modification devices.
- Define GTV, PTV, CTV, OAR and able to calculate the Conformity Index (CI).