ELIUP 043 Reading II • 4.5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2018
Reading II • 5 Cr.
Students learn and practice scanning, skimming, locating main ideas, making basic inferences based on given information. In addition, they build passive and active vocabularies, guess vocabulary from context, and develop study skills. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify key words to locate specific information in a limited time
- Locate main ideas and important details in a reading passage in a limited time
- Comprehensive and critical reading
- Comprehend the literal meaning of a passage
- Identify main idea and supporting details in a passage
- Express and support an opinion about a passage
- Make basic inferences from a passage
- Make connections between sounds and letters
- Recognize a core of vocabulary
- Demonstrate knowledge of spelling rules
- Guess vocabulary from context
- Study skills
- Use a dictionary to find correct spelling, meaning, and part of speech
- Identify common stems and affixes
- Find and use simple library materials