ELIUP 066 American Culture • 4.5 Cr.
Students learn about and discuss values, assumptions, communication styles, behavior, and other aspects of cultural and ethnic diversity, concentrating specifically on American culture. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Understand the differences between beliefs, values, and norms in a culture.
- Explain common American beliefs, values, norms, and communication patterns.
- Explain common American behaviors and ways of reasoning.
- Explain the similarities and differences between US culture and your culture.
- Feel more comfortable interacting in a second culture.
- Think more globally.