ENGL 265 English Literature: Blake Through Hardy • 5 Cr.
Surveys the major Romantic and Victorian writers in their literary and cultural context. Authors and works vary, but typically include Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron, The Shelleys, Keats, Tennyson, the Brownings, G. Eliot, Hardy, and Arnold. Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain how the economic, social, political, and religious conditions of 19th century England affected poets, novelists, and writers of the time.
- Compare 19th century English history and literature to our own age
- Use the terminology of literature and literary analysis
- Apply the process of analysis and synthesize to your reading and your writing.
- Ask insightful questions of literature and examining the various responses.
- Become comfortable with ambiguity and to move away from needing precise yes or no/black and white answers
- Demonstrate improved inferential skills
- Demonstrate oral presentations skills (individual and/or as part of a group).
- Practice good group skills