HCTM 310 Introduction to Health IT Environment • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2014
Essentials of Healthcare Informatics • 5 Cr.
Examines the architecture, components and applications of healthcare information systems, including electronic medical records, health information exchange, medical patient diagnostic, monitoring and therapeutic devices and systems, lab and pharmacy systems, computerized provider order entry, and decision support systems. Also looks at trends in health information technologies and applications, and healthcare enterprise. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- ?Evaluate the background of today’s health IT landscape including electronic health records, health information exchange, clinical decision support, telemedicine, public health informatics, nursing informatics, and the role of health IT in healthcare quality and safety
- ?Analyze and defend general functions, purposes and benefits of health information systems in various healthcare settings
- ?Explain the federal initiatives and other significant developments that have influenced the evolution and adoption of health information systems
- ?Compare and contrast different types of health information systems in terms of their ability to meet the needs of various types of healthcare enterprises
- ?Assess and present how electronic health records affect patient safety, quality care, efficiency, productivity, and reporting/documentation mechanisms
- ?Research and evaluate strategies to minimize major barriers to the adoption of health IT systems
- ?Appraise the principles of healthcare data exchange and healthcare data standards in relation to patient care, productivity and data analysis
- ?Develop a general outline of the hardware, software, operating system and networking considerations necessary for effective data storage and use in healthcare organizations
- ?Research and present the roles and influences of device and systems vendors, and health IT solutions companies
- ?Analyze the trends in consumer health informatics and other health IT trends such as gerotechnology and how the introduction of new technologies accelerate these trends