HPRO 181 Emergency Department Technician Externship • 5 Cr.
Provides clinical practice in a hospital emergency room as an Emergency Department Technician. Enforced prerequisite: placement by assessment into ENGL& 101 and completion of all other classes in the Emergency Department Technician and Emergency Department Technician Professional certificates at BC with a C- or better. Successful passing of HPRO 180 skills tests and permission of instructor. No more than one quarter off between completion of HPRO 180 and enrollment in HPRO 181.
Prerequisites: HPRO 180 at BC with a grade of C- or better, successful passing of HPRO 180 skills tests, and permission of instructor. Fee: $23.50 malpractice insurance.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Possess clinical skills, knowledge, and competency performance as an Emergency Department Technician in emergency situations in a hospital setting
- Assess emergency situations and perform necessary procedures
- Assist physicians and other healthcare workers
- Utilize specialized medical equipment
- Perform wound care, orthopedic splinting, specimen collection
- Assist with patient monitoring for cardiac, respiratory, nervous, and genito-urinary emergencies