ISIT 305 Network Security and Firewalls • 5 Cr.
This course covers the skills required to develop a security infrastructure, recognize threats and vulnerabilities to networks, and mitigate those threats. Emphasizes core security technologies, installation, troubleshooting and monitoring of network devices to maintain integrity, confidentiality and availability of data and devices. Includes attack and defense case study. Either ISIT 305 or NSCOM 205 may be taken for credit, not both. Prerequisite: Admission into the Cyber Security and Systems Administration concentration of the BAS IST program, or permission of the instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe common security threats with appropriate countermeasures
- Implement security on Cisco routers and switches
- Describe, implement and verify Authorization, Authentication, and Accounting (AAA) on devices
- Describe and implement secure network management practices
- Evaluate operational strengths and weaknesses of the different firewall technologies Implement the Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA)
- Assess the applicability of the different methods used in cryptography
- Implement an Internetwork Operating System (IOS) Internet Protocol Security (IPSec) site-to-site Virtual Private Network (VPN) with pre-shared key authentication