OLS 112 News and Daily Living • 3 Cr.
Discusses the types of news and how it effects your daily life. Covers the correlation between reality and representation and how various points of view enter into the elements of news and applying it into an article. Prerequisite OLS 110, 111, 140, 141 and Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Analyze free speech as it relates to news and the Bill of Rights
- Define what is considered news
- Explain how news is influenced by people, events and institutions
- Demonstrate the writing process by writing a news article
- Report on hard news in current events
- Summarize the main idea and supporting details in news articles or stories
- Present various points of views in current events
- Identify careers in the news field and the job tasks required
- Spring 2014 (current quarter)