Commencement Ceremony – June 25, 2021
Commencement is about our community coming together to honor your achievement. On June 25, 2021, we are pleased to invite families and friends to celebrate our graduating class of 2020-2021. This year’s ceremony will be broadcast online as a Virtual Commencement Ceremony. More information and detailed instructions are provided here.
Dear BC Students,
As 2021 remains unclear, and we enter a second year with the COVID-19 pandemic, it is important for you to know that Bellevue College is here for you. Many of you with plans to graduate this year wonder about the Commencement ceremony’s status in June. After serious deliberation and a review of the best available science, we have made the difficult decision to hold a virtual Commencement instead of an in-person ceremony on campus. The virtual Commencement will be held on June 25, 2021.
Moving to a virtual ceremony was not an easy decision, but our top priority is the health and safety of our students and employees. We will continue to follow the guidance of public health experts. The availability of new vaccines is offering us hope that we may host some of the smaller specialized graduation ceremonies in-person; however, we will not be able to determine that until we know the status of the pandemic later this year.
Many will be working to make your virtual Commencement a joyous experience. After all your hard work, we want to make this occasion special. You’ll begin to see communications and updates on the Commencement website in the coming weeks and months.
Stay safe and mask up!
How to Participate
If you want your name announced during the ceremony, you must register.
The deadline to register is May 30.
If you have not applied yet, please submit your graduation application now. You must also register for the Commencement Ceremony. Submitting a graduation application does not automatically include you in the ceremony.
You are invited to participate in the Commencement Ceremony if:
- You complete or apply for a degree that is 20 credits or more and
- You graduated in Fall 2020 or Winter 2021, or
- You applied for graduation in Spring 2021 or Summer 2021.
Order you cap and gown free online here. The deadline is May 30.
- Click “Cap & Gown” in the top menu for the free option.
- You can purchase additional items like announcement and thank you cards.
Students with a high GPA may qualify for Honors cords. The requirements are:
- Associate degrees and Certificates of Achievement: GPA 3.5 or above
- Bachelors degrees: GPA 3.6 or above
- Based on the cumulative GPA from your transcript, NOT the GPA you see on Degree Audit.
More information about how to get honors cords will be posted here when it is available.
You can submit a photo or video of yourself to show on screen when we call your name. You can also submit short videos to play during the ceremony. Here is what we are looking for:
- A photo of yourself, or a short 5-10 second video of you waiving or celebrating.
- This will show on screen when we call your name.
- Record a video message to your family, friends, or teachers. (maximum length 30 seconds)
- Share your thanks or appreciation!
- Short video of of you, friends, or family clapping (maximum length 30 seconds)
- Short video of of you, friends, or family cheering (maximum length 30 seconds)
Submitting your photos or videos is optional. You can choose to not submit any, or only some of the options above.
How to upload photos and videos:
- Submit the image release form.
- This gives the college permission to use your photos and videos. We will not use your submission if we do not have your release form.
- Upload your photos and videos online.
Please note: Due to technical issues, timing, or quality problems, some submissions may not be included in the final event.
There are two ceremonies:
- Blue Ceremony – 4:00 pm
- Silver Ceremony – 7:30 pm
Students are assigned to one ceremony according to degree type.
A link to watch both ceremonies will be provided here on June 25th.
Need help or have a question?
For Faculty and Staff
Submit your videos of celebration and congratulations! (maximum length 30 seconds)
Here is a sample video from last year: Faculty/Staff Video
The college does not hand out diplomas at the ceremony. Diplomas are mailed after your final classes are complete and the degree has been added to your official transcript.
The college held two ceremonies in 2020 based on degree type. You can watch a full recording of both ceremonies online.
View or Download the Program Here – includes the names of all graduates and the order of events
The college held two ceremonies in 2019 based on degree type. You can watch a full recording of both ceremonies online.
Professional photographs were taken as each graduate walked across the stage. You can find and purchase your photos on the Grad Images website.
Last Updated April 2, 2021