If you have taken courses from another regionally accredited institution, you may have satisfied the prerequisite requirements for some courses or programs at Bellevue College. Here are some guidelines and tools for you to find out how to verify completion of prerequisites or get an entry code.
- What is a Prerequisite?
- Types of Prerequisites
- How to Verify Completion of Prerequisites
- Online Prerequisite Check
- Nursing Program Prerequisites
- Requirements for Transcripts
- Other Required Information
- Contact Information
What is a Prerequisite?
A prerequisite is a course that must be completed (often with a certain minimum grade) or a skill that must be demonstrated before you can enroll in a more advanced course (for example, English 101, English Composition I, is a prerequisite for English 201, The Research Paper).
Types of Prerequisites
There are three types of prerequisites:
- Recommended prerequisite – it will not block you from registration; you can register without verifying the completion of prerequisite.
- Enforced prerequisite – it will block you from registration unless you have verified the completion of prerequisites or have an authorized entry code.
- Permission of instructor - it will block you from registration unless you receive permission from the instructor to register for the class.Back to top
How to Verify Completion of Prerequisites
If you have taken or are taking the prerequisite at BC, your prerequisite will automatically be cleared when you register.
If you completed the prerequisite at another educational institution or took an AP/IB test, you must provide documentation to verify that you have satisfied the prerequisite prior to your registration time.
The course must be
- taken at a regionally accredited institution;
- equivalent to the required BC course and meet the minimum grade requirement. (Visit the Transfer Course Equivalencies website to see how your courses are transferred to Bellevue College)
Documentation may take the form of
- an official or unofficial transcript issued by the school where you completed the course.
- a report card issued by the school where you completed the course.
- an unofficial copy of your AP/IB test report issued by the testing agency.
The documentation must must include the following information:
- Your name (If it does not match with the name you use at BC, you need to provide proof of name change).
- The name of the school where you completed the coursework.
- Course title, grade, number of credit, and the time the course was taken.
In-progress coursework from another institution cannot be used until your grade has been posted.
General Academic Subjects:
If the prerequisite is in an academic subject area, such as English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry or Psychology, you must submit a request at the Online Prerequisite Check website with your transcript or test report to clear your prerequisite requirement. If approved, your prerequisite will be cleared in 2-3 business days and the prerequisite block will be removed. If denied, you will be notified by e-mail. Please note that all requests must be submitted online to the Evaluations Office. (See the list for Enforced Academic Prerequisites – in PDF format)
If the prerequisite is in a professional/technical subject area, such as Information Technology, Video Production, Interior Design, or Health Professions, contact the program chair or program advisor to review your previous coursework. Use the How to Clear Prerequisites or Get an Entry Code list to look up contact information for each program. If approved, you will be given an entry code which can be used to clear the prerequisite block when you register.
For courses that require permission of instructor, contact the instructor directly or visit the program or division.
Please note: If the prerequisite is approved, it is for the purpose of clearing a prerequisite only, and it is not an approval of credit.
Online Prerequisite Check
The online prerequisite check process is for students who need to clear prerequisite coursework that was completed at another educational institution or by AP/IB tests for academic subject areas, such as English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry or Psychology. Please note that all requests must be submitted online.
Select the link for online prerequisite check to begin the process.
How can I submit the required documentation?
You will be given the following options to submit your documentation:
- Upload document in PDF format to the online request form (preferable).
- E-mail to email@example.com
- Fax to the Evaluations Office at (425) 564-4065;
- Mail to the Evaluations Office at 3000 Landerholm Circle SE, B125, Bellevue, WA 98007.
How will I know if my prerequisite is approved?
You will receive an e-mail confirmation after your request has been processed. If approved, your prerequisite will be cleared and the prerequisite block will be removed. If denied, you will be notified by e-mail.
How long will it take to process the request?
Requests are processed in the order they are received. Please allow a response time up to 2-3 business days.
Select the link for Online Prerequisite Check to start the process.
Nursing Program Prerequisites
To check if your coursework from another institution meets the admission prerequisites and the required general education courses for the Nursing Program, contact the Nursing Department in Room R130.
If you took courses at one of the Washington State colleges or universities, you can view the following course guides (in PDF format) to see if they are acceptable for the Nursing program:
- Nursing Pre-Admission Course Guide 2011-2012
- Nursing Pre-Admission Course Guide 2012-2013
- Nursing Pre-Admission Course Guide 2013-2014
Requirements for Transcripts
For checking prerequisites, an unofficial copy of your transcript or report card is acceptable. It must be issued by the school where you completed the course, and must include the following information:
- Your name (If it does not match with the name you use at BC, you need to provide proof of name change)
- The name of the school
- Course title, grade, number of credits, and the time the course was taken
Other Required Information
Course descriptions are needed for courses that were completed prior to 1994.
If you have questions about prerequisite checking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also call the Evaluations Office at (425) 564-3106 or email email@example.com.