eLearning Faculty Summer Institute
Live-remote on Tuesday August 18th and Self-Paced Online Through the Start of Fall Quarter
This summer the Summer Institute will be remote AND online. On Tuesday morning facilitators will demonstrate a concept and share effective examples of activities in 25 minute consecutive sessions in Microsoft Teams. Tuesday afternoon is reserved for faculty members to spend time 1-on-1 or in a small group with an Instructional Designer to work on tools specific to their needs.
The learning continues at your own pace online Wednesday through the start of the Fall quarter. In a Canvas course created specifically for the Summer Institute, choose an additional 3 topics of your choice. Go through the topic module and take a short quiz. Apply what you have learned from both the live sessions and in the online modules to your own Canvas courses.
The last part of the Summer Institute is to schedule a time to meet with an Instructional Designer prior to the start of the Fall quarter to showcase 1 way that you’ve applied the learning to your own courses. This is an opportunity to share your own tips and tricks and to ask further questions.
Faculty Stipends for attendance on the first day, completion of 3 x 30-minute self-paced modules, and a final 30-minute meeting with an Instructional Designer will be $200.
Tuesday, August 18th
AM session: 25-minute consecutive deep-dive presentations about Canvas components.
- 8:30-9:00 Coffee break: Join the conference early to catch up with your colleagues
- 9:00 – 9:05 Introduction to the Summer Institute format (Heather Rane)
- 9:05 – 9:30 Session #1 – Preparing for your Synchronous Session (Keith Rowley)
- 9:30 – 9:55 Session #2 – File Management in Canvas (Ron Austin)
- 9:55 – 10:20 Session #3 – Accessibility (Debi Griggs)
- 10:20 – 10:30 BREAK
- 10:30 – 10:45 eLearning Team Introductions
- 10:45 – 11:10 Session #4 – Syllabus (Ron Austin)
- 11:10 – 11:35 Session #5 – Pages and Images in Canvas (Bruce Wolcott)
- 11:35 – 12:00 Session #6 – New Gradebook (Deborah Leblang)
- 12:00 – 12:15 Wrap-up (Heather Rane)
- 12:15 – 1:30 Lunch on your own
PM session: Optional open office hours by topic for 1-on-1 or small group assistance. All channels open from 1:30 to – 4:00.
- Video Channel: Panopto, Zoom to Panopto transfer, captions, etc. (Keith Rowley)
- Quiz Channel: Respondus 4.0, Lockdown Browser, Honorlock, quizzes and question banks, etc. (Sara Farag)
- Zoom Channel: Zoom settings, breakout rooms, polls, SSO, etc. (Bruce Wolcott and Deborah Leblang)
- Assignments Channel: assignments, assignment groups, rubrics, Speedgrader, etc. (Betsy Zahrt Geib)
- Getting Started Channel: what goes in the Getting Started module, impactful syllabus design, killer home pages, etc. (Ron Austin)
Dial into a single channel or move around from one to another.
Wednesday, August 19th through the start of Fall quarter
More information on the self-paced learning component and the Instructional Design meetings coming soon!
Last Updated July 13, 2020