Residency for tuition purposes is determined by the information provided on the Bellevue College admission application. Students given resident status are assessed in-state instructional fees, which are subsidized by funds from the State of Washington’s Higher Education budget. Students given non-resident status are assessed a higher level of instructional fees that more closely approximate the actual cost of instruction.
NON-RESIDENT students enrolled in only online classes may be eligible for a tuition reduction. For more information, call Enrollment Services at (425) 564-2222 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and ask about the “eLearning Waiver”.
Changing classification from Non-resident to Resident
To pay resident tuition, eligible students must be able to prove that they have met permanent residence requirements as determined by the Washington state legislature. Note: Requirements for establishing permanent residence for tuition purposes are different than those for securing a driver’s license, registering to vote and/or paying taxes.
There are two components to establishing permanent residence for tuition purposes. The first component requires 12 months continuous physical presence in the state prior to the quarter for which residency is being sought. The second component requires proof of intent to permanently reside in Washington for other than educational purposes, (WAC250-18-030).
Eligible students may apply for reclassification by completing and submitting the Residence Questionnaire, along with documentation described in the Residency Requirements Form to the residency office. Note: Completed questionnaires and all supporting documentation must be received by the 30th calendar day of the quarter for which application is made. Documentation received after the 30th calendar day will be considered for the following quarter.
You are eligible to apply for reclassification if you:
- are a U.S. citizen, have a permanent resident card, hold an A, E, G, H, I, K or L visa, or have “refugee-asylum” status and have lived in Washington for at least 12 months prior to registering at Bellevue College, and have established permanent ties with Washington primarily for purposes other than education;
- are financially dependent upon a parent or legal guardian who has maintained residency in the state of Washington for twelve continuous months prior to the quarter for which residency is being sought;
- are a member of the armed services or Washington National Guard assigned to duty and living in Washington;
- are a military veteran;
- are a member of a Native American tribe which had traditional and customary tribal boundaries that included parts of the state of Washington, Oregon, Montana and Idaho.
- are an undocumented student who:
- Resided in Washington state for the three (3) years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school, OR completed the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) and resided in Washington state for the three (3) years immediately before receiving the equivalent of the diploma; and
- Continuously resided in the State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.
If you are eligible, print and complete the HB1079 affidavit, Washington Higher Education Affidavit/Declaration/Certification form. The original should be submitted to the BC Residency Office.
For more information, please contact the residency office at email@example.com or at (425) 564-4143.