Academic Dismissal

Read rules and guidelines related to academic dismissal at BC.

A large outdoor fountain with multiple silver arches and a single water spout in the center. The second level walkway is in the background with the Bellevue College sign in the center.

Level 4 – Academic Dismissal

  • The college places you on academic dismissal at the end of the fourth quarter in which your overall and term GPA falls below a C average (2.0). 
  • Academic dismissal restricts your enrollment at Bellevue College for one academic year.
  • Students returning to the college after academic dismissal must take the following steps:
    • Meet with an academic advisor to develop an education plan.  Note: If you are a Running Start student, you need to meet with your Running Start Academic Advisor.
    • The plan must outline the courses to be taken and needed to make progress towards degree, certificate, or academic goal completion for the next four quarters.
    • The advisor must sign the education plan.
    • Submit your plan

Dismissal Appeals

  • You can appeal your dismissal by completing an Academic Standing Appeal form.
  • Your appeal must include the following:
    • a signed 3 quarter education plan by an advisor documenting the classes to be taken during the next four quarters.  Note: If you are a Running Start student, you need to meet with your Running Start Academic Advisor
    • Before meeting with an Academic Advisor review your academic record and receive any Math or English placements for your program.
    • an outline for how your GPA will improve to at least a C average (2.0) over the next four quarters.
    • documentation or explanation of the circumstances that prevented successful completion of coursework.

Returning After 1 Year Dismissal

If you are returning to Bellevue College after sitting out for one academic year, you are still required to submit an appeal with a 3 quarter educational plan signed by an Academic Advisor. See Appeal procedure above for more information.

Academic Renewal

Students returning to Bellevue College after a break in taking credit classes or those who have completed all of the coursework and requirements for a degree or certificate may petition for academic renewal. Academic renewal replaces all original grades students earned in select quarters with a grade of “X,” which is not included in the calculation of their Bellevue College grade point average (GPA). The college allows this as a one-time irreversible option for students who meet the following criteria:

  • The student took a minimum one-year (four consecutive quarters) break in taking classes and earns at least a “B-“ quarterly and cumulative GPA in three (3) consecutive quarters starting immediately upon the student’s return to the college; or
  • The student has completed all coursework and requirements necessary for degree or certificate completions, and has applied for graduation.

If you submit an appeal for academic renewal, refer to the Student Central Processing Dashboard to determine where Student Central is in processing your appeal. Contact Student Central for any appeal related questions.

What if My Appeal is Denied? 

  • Think about taking a quarter to reflect on what you really want out of your education.  Sometimes focusing on college and doing well can be extremely challenging when you have competing priorities and/or you are not clear about your academic, career, and personal goals. Take the time you need to ensure you return when you are ready and more prepared. 
  • Think about another institution – Bellevue College is not the only college out there and it might be good to try out another school to see if it is a better fit. If you take a class and do well, you can always use that as part of a future appeal. This can demonstrate your readiness for success.  

Is There a Benefit to Sitting Out a Year? 

  • Taking some time to reflect on your goals is one of the best ways to develop a plan of success in the future. 
  • If you sit out a year, you could qualify for Academic Renewal (see above). Academic Renewal is a way to repair your transcript and can get you off to a fresh start.  An Academic Advisor can discuss Academic Renewal when you are ready to return.  
Bellevue College Logo