All Projects Need:

BEFORE you get started on your project, take some time to think about what you want to do. Paperwork is needed before you begin. Click each link to get the appropriate ISEF Form. CSRSEF suggests that you use the Intel ISEF Rules Wizard to help determine which forms you need.

Photo Release: 2019 Media-Indemnity-Ethics-Form –Good for CSRSEF and WSSEF
Form 1. 1-Checklist-for-Adult-Sponsor
Form 1A. 1A-Student-Checklist-Research-Plan-Instructions 
Form 1B. 1B-Approval-Form
Research Plan (See Form 1A for guidelines)

If you are doing your project as a team, you will submit all of your paperwork together–only one copy of all forms is needed EXCEPT the Approval Form 1B. Each student needs to fill out and also have their guardians sign an Approval Form 1B. 

ALL Paperwork is due February 20, 2019.

Electronic Signature Instructions

In order to send a form electronically to be signed by your Adult Sponsor/Designated Supervisor/Qualified Scientist, follow our guide to electronic signature instructions.

Forms you MAY need — early submission required:

Read through this list of other forms your project MAY need. Any project that needs any of the following forms is required to register their project online AND submit their project proposal to the Scientific Review Committee/Institutional Review Board by January 30, 2019. 

  • Form 3. 3-Risk-Assessment – Required for activities that are higher risk than household or school use. This includes the use of lab-grade chemicals, extensive use of power tools, or any other activity with an element of risk that is not covered by the other forms.
  • Form 4. 4-Human-Participants– Required for any study using humans or human data. This includes surveys or asking people questions about themselves or about their thoughts and opinions on a topic. Needs to be submitted in conjunction with a sample consent form (see immediately below).
    4-Sample-Informed-Consent– Required for any study using humans or human data. A sample consent form needs to be submitted along with the other ISEF forms for consideration by the Institutional Review Board BEFORE the study begins. In addition, all consents must be discussed with the participants BEFORE any data is collected; In addition, the consents need to be stored in a secure area. De-identification of data needs to be addressed, as well as any risks involved with the study. Note: there are risks for every study–even in a survey there is a risk of slight stress.
  • Form 5A&B. 5AB-Vertebrate-Animal Form 5A is required for projects that were conducted in a school/home/field research site. Form 5B is required for all research involving vertebrate animals that is conducted at a Regulated Research Institution that has an IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee) that approved the experiment. Form 5B needs to be completed and signed AFTER the experiments are done.
  • Form 6A. 6A-Potentially-Hazardous-Biological-Agents– Required for projects that use microorganisms, recombinant DNA, fresh/frozen tissue (including cell lines and tissue culture work), blood, blood products, and body fluids.
  • Form 6B. 6B-Human-Vertebrate-Animal-Tissue – Required in conjunction with Form 6A for research involving fresh/frozen tissue (including cell lines and tissue culture work), blood, blood products, and body fluids. If the research involves living organisms, pleas ensure that the proper human or animal forms are completed.

**Please Note: If you are working with human subjects, vertebrate animals, controlled substances and/or potentially hazardous biological agents, you MUST have your project approved BEFORE you begin your experiment.  The purpose of the SRC/IRB is to make sure that you are doing your science fair project safely and ethically, therefore, the committee must approve your project before you start collecting data. If you have already started your experiment and did not receive prior approval, please contact us and let us know about your situation.

Other forms you may need:

  • 1C-Regulated-Research-Institution. Regulated Research Institutional/Industry Setting Form – Required AFTER experimentation (to be filled out by the supervising adult) at a regulated research institution, industrial setting, or any work site other than home, school, or the field.
  • 2-Qualified-Scientist. Qualified Scientist  – Required for projects that need an adult who has a professional or doctoral degree.
  • 7-Continuation. Continuation/Research Progress Projects Form – Required for projects that are continuing in the same field of study as the previous project. This form must be accompanied by the previous year’s abstract and research plan.

Mailing Address

Mail copies of your forms (keep your originals!) to:
Bellevue College
c/o Central Sound Regional Science & Engineering Fair
3000 Landerholm Circle SE, MS-L200
Bellevue, WA 98007

Rules & Guidelines

The CSRSEF follows the same rules as the Intel International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF). Check out the ISEF Rules & Guidelines to learn more. Many class assignments, senior projects, summer research projects, and displays created for other science competitions can be entered into the fair with minimal changes.

Ethics Statement

Scientific fraud and misconduct are not condoned at any level of research or competition. Plagiarism, use or presentation of other researcher’s work as one’s own and fabrication or falsification of data will not be tolerated. Fraudulent projects will fail to qualify for competition in affiliated fairs or the ISEF.

Last Updated December 28, 2018